Standing with Israel
Like many of you, I was raised in a liberal Jewish home in America where I was taught – or rather absorbed from the atmosphere around me – two supposedly immutable facts. First, that Islam is one of the three great monotheistic religions. Second, that the Western world in general and the United States in particular have become safe havens for Jews. Never again will there be danger of a holocaust; the countries of the “enlightened” West are much too advanced for barbarity like that to raise its ugly head again. I’ll deal with the “Islam as a great monotheistic religion” issue in a future post, but today I want to tear away the façade of “the West as a sanctuary.”
It seems that almost every “progressive” still idolizes Europe and wishes to remake America in its mold. European culture as seen through their eyes is so marvelously civilized as opposed to American garishness; the gentleman vs. the cowboy. How could ancient Jew-hatred rear its ugly head in such a multi-cultural paradise?
Sweden, once an idyllic land of lovely landscapes and peaceful, crime-free towns has become the become the rape capital of the world. Why? Massive Muslim immigration! For the same reason Swedish Jews have begun running for their lives, realizing that the government in which they trusted is unable or unwilling to protect them. Evidently Muslim Jew-hatred has emboldened the home grown variety of haters to express themselves openly without fear of punishment.
Norway, known for its breathtaking fjords, northern lights and midnight sun is no longer the home of the brave Vikings. Forget bravery and standing up for their own values. It’s so passé to think that one’s own country or values are exceptional in today’s world. And so, Norway has, for all intents and purposes, surrendered to the Islamist tyranny that arrived on its shores with Muslim immigration. Rather than assimilate into Norwegian society and culture, these new-comers aspire to take over – Allah’s kingdom must rule over all the earth! And the Jews are fleeing.
The “Emerald Green Isle” is no longer the innocent home of leprechauns and pots of gold at the end of the rainbow. Ireland is now infamous as the “most hostile country in Europe.” Not a comfortable place for Jews…
All of Europe is sliding toward that same precipice, from which I fear there is no return, and European Jews need to have their suitcases packed and not convince themselves that everything will be alright.
What about the U.S.? For now it’s still a somewhat safe haven for Jews, but that status is getting wobbly and it’s by no means guaranteed to remain as such into the foreseeable future.
Our president has chosen as his best international friend an unabashed Islamist who hates both Israel and the U.S.
Islamists are working overtime to convince the American public, whom they see as good-natured idiots, that Islam isn’t so bad after all. A new TV show endeavors to present Muslims as regular folks who just want to make a living and be happy, like you or me. Violence? Jihad? We must be imagining things about the “religion of peace.”
Finally, Muslims understand rightly that the last bastion of support for Israel and the Jewish people is the believing church, particularly in the U.S. By portraying Palestinians as the oppressed under-dogs and the Israelis as oppressors, “moderate” Muslim groups are attempting to peel off support from Christians. And to a certain extent they’re succeeding. Only the groups whose roots are deeply in the Scriptures, who love the God of Israel and who are willing to be stigmatized as ignorant, heartless buffoons will be unmoved by these appeals.
This is a challenge for those of you who call yourselves “Christians.” Where will you stand when the going gets rough (and make no mistake about it, it will!)? And for my Jewish readers – are you willing to recognize and appreciate our friends and not ascribe ulterior motives to them? These brave souls stand with us because of a relationship with our God, something all of us might want to emulate.
The year is approximately 540 BCE. Belshazzar, king of the great Babylonian Empire is hosting an opulent feast for 1000 of his lords. Oriental monarchs frequently indulged in extravaganzas like this one with the sole purpose of showing off their wealth, their power, their wives or anything else they could think of to make others think they were the greatest human beings (maybe even bordering on the divine) to ever walk the earth. But Belshazzar made two fatal mistakes. First, he was so mesmerized by the myth he had created about himself that he was oblivious to the storm that was brewing around him. Even worse – he messed with the God of Israel. He and his entourage decided it would be a really cool thing to bring out the gold cups and other vessels that had been looted from the Holy Temple in Jerusalem and use them to toast the power of the king and the greatness of his pagan gods. Suddenly, out of nowhere, the fingers of a man’s hand appeared and wrote what was, to all those assembled in the hall, an unintelligible message. The mood in the room changed from drunken festivity to utter terror. The only one able to interpret the message was the prophet Daniel. This is what it said…
God has numbered your kingdom, and finished it
You have been weighed in the balances, and found wanting
Your kingdom has been divided… (Dan. 5:26-28)
That very night the king was assassinated and his kingdom was handed over to others.
Is the handwriting on the wall of our world today? Are our leaders, like King Belshazzar, blithely going along, too enchanted by the fantasies of their own making to pay attention to the looming catastrophe that may not be as far in the future as many of them hope? More direly – are more and more people and nations messing with the God of Israel? Scripture warns, he who touches you (Israel and the Jewish people) touches the apple of His (God’s) eye. (Zech. 2:8)
• Is a worldwide cataclysm brewing in Iran? A report issued by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) shows strong, “credible” evidence that Iran is building a nuclear weapon. Rather than being a shock, this was simply confirmation of facts that have been known but ignored or withheld for a long time. According to Caroline Glick, “Since Iran’s nuclear weapons program was first revealed to the public in 2004, Israel has provided in-depth intelligence information proving Iran’s malign intentions to the likes of Sarkozy, Obama and the UN.”
Won’t sanctions and diplomacy work? NO! First of all, we’re not dealing with rational, albeit evil, political leaders. The Iranian mullahs and their puppet, Ahmadinejad, are demonically-driven, fanatical theocrats whose ambition is to bring about the apocalypse so that the long-awaited 12th imam will come to earth. No big deal if most of their nation perishes in the process!! And now it seems that they have China on their side. According to Fox News, “The Chinese-Iranian relationship has, in fact, been deepening over the last few years.”
So what are Israel’s options? Will she “go it alone” against Iran in what would be a very risky mission? Many feel such actions would precipitate a regional war involving Hezbollah and Hamas along with Iran. Analysts predict that in the event of such a war, the cost of a barrel of oil could dramatically rise to $175 – $200 a barrel. This would not only inflame passions against Israel but against the Jewish people as a whole. It doesn’t take much to arouse Jew-hatred these days. Remember Israel’s Operation Cast Lead offensive in December 2008/January 2009? What was a totally justifiable action meant to protect innocent civilians in the south of the country from incessant rocket and mortar attacks from Gaza became an excuse for virulent world-wide demonstrations against the “hateful Jews”. For an excellent power point of the anti-Semitic repercussions of Cast Lead, click here and then click on General (in the right hand column and then click on January 2009 – In the wake of Operation Cast Lead). Then there’s this Youtube video of a female Hamas sympathizer in Fort Lauderdale screaming at Jewish people “go back to the oven.”
• Is the world poking God in the eye by their treatment of Israel and its leaders? No one claims that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is any kind of a prophet or a holy man – but he is the representative of the nation, and when he is the recipient of undeserved antagonism it’s a symptom of a deeper problem. While we hear empty rhetoric claiming, “Israel remains our important partner and key strategic ally,” the truth comes out from behind closed doors. The following exchange took place during a break at the G20 summit in Cannes, France. Presidents Sarkozy and Obama thought the mics were turned off and were having a confidential little chat about Bibi.
Sarkozy: “I can’t stand to see him any more, he’s a liar.”
Obama: “You are fed up with him, but me, I have to deal with him every day.”
The White House refused to confirm or deny the exchange between the two.
Far from being an aberration, the above unscripted comment is part of a continual pattern of disrespect from President Obama. When Prime Minister Netanyahu came to the White House in March 2010, he was given third-world treatment. Obama followed that up at various times by outrageous demands. Israel should cease all construction in Judea and Samaria and in East Jerusalem, even on land that is not being contested. And Israel should begin discussions with the PA based on a return to the pre-1967 borders, also known as the “Auschwitz Borders.” Obviously this is the most anti-Israel president the U.S. has ever had!
• Is the handwriting on the wall in the U.S.? Not yet to the extent that it is in Europe but universities, the institutions that are training the next generation of national leaders, reek with Jew-hatred.
On October 28 at Kent State University, Professor Julio Pino felt obligated to exercise his First Amendment right by shouting out “Death to Israel” at a lecture given by guest speaker, Ishmael Khaldi, a former Israeli consul official who is a Bedouin. Four days earlier Khaldi appeared at the University of Michigan where approximately 60 students walked out on his message. One of the leaders of the protest, Bilal Baydoun, was quoted in the Arab American News, “our goal is to prevent someone like this from even arriving on campus in the first place and we feel confident that we will be able to accomplish this as we continue to spread awareness.” Free speech and free exchange of ideas on the university campus have become a thing of the past as Arab petro dollars increasingly flow in to fund these bastions of learning and as hard core leftists serve in tenured positions of power.
Pro-Islamic speakers can spout their venom with impunity at campus venues but even questions from the audience are carefully screened. When Gail Rubin, co-chair of the University of California Davis chapter of StandwithUs, a pro-Israel organization, attempted to challenge lecturer Professor Gilbert Achcar’s skewed opinion that the Grand Mufti’s (Haj Amin al-Husseini) anti-Semitism had only a minimal impact on both Jews and Arabs, two professors angrily told her “the questions were insulting and to either stop or leave the room.” As she described it, “So much for free speech and scholarly discourse in academia.”
• Incitement eventually leads to violence. This past Friday (November 11) residents of Flatbush, Brooklyn were awakened to find that three cars had been torched and the area had been defaced with anti-Semitic graffiti.
The big danger in the western world is that it’s easy to become so comfortable or so involved in our daily lives that we simply pass everything off thinking things have to get better – it’ll all go away eventually. But maybe it won’t.
Shortly after Operation Cast Lead, Douglas Davis wrote an article in the Spectator entitled, The terrible warning of a Holocaust survivor:
As tens of thousands of demonstrators march through the streets of Europe, the chants are modified but the message remains substantially intact: ‘Hamas, Hamas, Hamas — Jews to the Gas’. Or, more simply: ‘Death to the Jews’. Many European Jews, even well-established, affluent Jews, have been checking the suitcase they keep packed under the bed. They have been here before and many are (albeit reluctantly) reading the writing on the wall.
The writing on the wall may be a little more faint in the U.S., but perhaps it’s time we begin reading it.
Click here to provide appropriate mood music for what you’re about to read.
Beyond it is another dimension.
You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas: – Allah transforming Jews into apes and pigs.
You’ve just crossed over into … The Shariah Zone
With apologies to Rod Serling and the Twilight Zone
Much of Europe has already walked through that door, misled by leftists and taqiyya-meisters who promised a sunny new day of “multi-culturalism” and “tolerance”. Instead, Danes, Brits, Germans, Belgians, French and Spaniards are groping around in a darkness from which they may never emerge. Parts of their major cities are now Shariah-controlled zones, patrolled by Islamic “religious police”. Not content with that, groups such as Call To Islam (Denmark), Muslims Against the Crusades (Britain) and Sharia4Belgium have announced their intention of imposing Shariah on their entire host country (last time I checked, an entity that derives its existence from sucking the life of a host is called a parasite). The parasites are succeeding. Soeren Kern in his article, Europe: “You Are Entering a Sharia Controlled Zone”, reports that in France, Islamic Sharia law is rapidly displacing French civil law in many parts of suburban Paris. This is just the tip of the iceberg.
Iranian-American writer and political analyst, Amil Imani, writes that “Islam certainly has taken on a predominant role in Europe. It has become so prominent there that the most senior judge in England has blessed the idea of making Shariah law equal with civil law in some cases. Many European countries are already on the verge of capitulation to the Islamists.”
What about the United States? Will “the land of the free and the home of the brave” escape Europe’s fate and learn from their mistakes? Or will we listen to the siren song of the left and “moderate” islamists (no such thing!) and blindly stumble toward the multi-cultural and tolerant door that leads to oblivion?
Frank Gaffney, founder and president of The Center For Security Policy has written an excellent book, “Shariah, The Threat to America” which warns that “U.S. leaders have failed to perceive – let alone respond effectively to – the real progress being made by the Muslim Brotherhood in insinuating shariah into the very heartland of America through stealthy means.”
The U.S. legal system is not immune. In the book there is the egregious example of a Muslim woman whose request for a restraining order against her Moroccan husband who had serially tortured and raped her was denied by New Jersey family court Judge Joseph Charles. The judge ruled on the grounds that the abusive husband had acted according to his Muslim (shariah) beliefs, and thus not with criminal intent. Fortunately the New Jersey Appellate court overturned the ruling. Gaffney’s book also explains the danger of Shariah-Compliant Finance or Islamic Banking. Check out the website: Shariah Financial Watch.
• Islam is being injected into our public schools through curricula and field trips. If any other religion tried this, there would be immediate screams of “separation of church and state”! Guess it doesn’t count when it’s separation of mosque and state – oops – forgot that in Islam no such separation exists or is allowed to exist.
• In my article of the week, Obama Administration Bans the Truth About Islam and Jihad, Islamic history scholar, Robert Spencer reports that the Department of Justice will remove all references to Islam in connection with any examination of Islamic jihad terror activity. He quotes Dwight C. Holton, former U.S. Attorney for the District of Oregon, “I want to be perfectly clear about this: training materials that portray Islam as a religion of violence or with a tendency towards violence are wrong, they are offensive, and they are contrary to everything that this president, this attorney general and Department of Justice stands for. They will not be tolerated.”
• In the space of one week two hotels: the Hyatt Hotel in Sugar Land, Texas, near Houston and the Hutton Hotel in Nashville, TN cancelled events by groups opposed to Shariah in America out of fear the event could attract protests and disrupt business. What about freedom of speech? It may be on its way out if certain lawyers and lobbyists have their way.
Top Justice Department officials convened a meeting Wednesday where invited Islamist advocates lobbied them for cutbacks in anti-terror funding, changes in agents’ training manuals, additional curbs on investigators and a legal declaration that U.S. citizens’ criticism of Islam constitutes racial discrimination. The Justice Department’s “civil rights lawyers are top of the line — I say this with utter honesty — I know they can come up with a way” to redefine criticism as discrimination, said Sahar Aziz, a female Egyptian-American lawyer.
A blog like mine might one day be condemned as “racial discrimination” and “hate speech”. That day may come sooner rather than later as the U.S. leadership wanders deeper and deeper into the shadowy world known as …. The Shariah Zone.
Back in 1995 an Israeli political leader penned the following words, “The release of convicted terrorists before they have served their full sentences seems like an easy and tempting way of defusing blackmail situations in which innocent people may lose their lives, but its utility is momentary at best.
“Prisoner releases only embolden terrorists by giving them the feeling that even if they are caught, their punishment will be brief. Worse, by leading terrorists to think such demands are likely to be met, they encourage precisely the terrorist blackmail they are supposed to defuse.”
That writer, if he were Prime Minister and faced with the kidnapping of one of his soldiers by Hamas terrorists in Gaza, would have appeared on television and announced that all food, water, electricity and other goods that had been flowing into Gaza would be stopped until the soldier was released. He would have announced that, should anything happen to the soldier, the consequences to Gaza would be devastating.
That leader was Benjamin Netanyahu. Only now, instead of standing firm for the courage of his convictions, he has capitulated to Hamas and struck a deal with them for the release of one Israeli captive, Gilad Schalit. Schalit was abducted in a cross-border raid while serving in a tank unit near the Gaza Strip and has been held, virtually without contact to the outside world, for five years. Israeli left-wing media during those five years waged an unremitting battle, blaming the Israeli government for his plight and emphasizing the suffering of his family. Only surrender to Hamas would suffice – nothing less. To the media, heroism was no longer important; in fact, it was the remnant of a more barbarous age. Now only sensitivity counts. In fact what they were doing is confusing the micro (feelings of the family) with the macro (what’s good for the country as a whole). That’s fine for ordinary people. All of us were concerned for Gilad Schalit and all of us sympathized with his long-suffering family. But it’s not alright for a government to think and act in those terms. Our leaders are entrusted with the duty of defending the nation as a whole.
So, while on a micro level, all of us are overjoyed at the prospect of Gilad Schalit coming home today (Tuesday), on a macro level many of us are horrified at the price our government has agreed to pay:
In return for Gilad Schalit’s freedom Israel has agreed to release 1027 Palestinian prisoners in two stages: 450 men plus 27 women in the first stage and 550 men in the second, approximately two months later. What makes this deal so problematic is the following:
1. The sheer number of Palestinian terrorists being released represents a victory for Hamas. The huge celebrations being held by both Hamas and the PA should tell us something.
2. Many of the terrorists being released have blood on their hands. They are directly responsible for the deaths of Israelis. Among those to be released in the first stage are 279 prisoners sentenced to life imprisonment. Families who lost loved ones feel completely betrayed by their government as they imagine seeing the killers smiling from their busses holding up the V sign for victory. According to Dan Greenfied (Sultan Knish), “The Shalit deal will release some of the worst murderers in Israeli history, including those responsible for the Dolphinarium disco bombing which killed over a dozen teenagers, the Sbarro pizza bombing which wiped out an entire family, the lynchers of two Israeli reservists and the Passover Massacre at the Park Hotel.”
3. The prisoner swap will encourage more terrorism. Why not kill as many Jews as you can if you know that you’ve got a “get out of jail free” card waiting for you? You’ll most likely only serve a short jail sentence and then return home as a conquering hero.
4. History proves that the majority of those released will go on to attempt further acts of terrorism. For example, Ahlam Tamimi, who drove the terrorist responsible for the 2001 suicide bombing of the Jerusalem Sbarro Pizza Restaurant, when asked whether she regrets the act, responded to a reporter that she was saddened that she could not kill more than 15 Jews. Is anyone naïve enough to think that someone with her attitude won’t return to jihad? While there are those who believe that Israel is much better equipped today to defend itself against terrorist attacks, time will tell whether or not these assertions are true.
It’s Sukkot. We are commanded to rejoice. So let us rejoice that our captive son is coming home. But let us also pray that God will restore some backbone in our spineless leadership so that the rest of our sons may grow up free and strong.
ONE WINTER a Farmer found a Snake stiff and frozen with cold. He had compassion on it, and taking it up, placed it in his bosom. The Snake was quickly revived by the warmth, and resuming its natural instincts, bit its benefactor, inflicting on him a mortal wound. “Why did you do that? I saved your life!” cried the Farmer with his last breath. Replied the snake, “You fool! A snake will always be a snake!” (Moral in today’s world) Coddling Islam never works. You can have compassion on its practitioners, feed them, clothe them and educate them but in the end they will always bite and devour you. Why? Their religion commands it.
Think I’m being islamophobic? Think again! Today’s version of the above fable could very well be entitled “The West and Islam”. Consider the following:
• Europeans – “the farmers” – have had so much compassion on the Islamic “snakes” that they’ve allowed them into their countries by the millions, reasoning as did the farmer in Aesop’s tale, “If we take them into our bosoms, warm them, feed them enough croissants and good French cheese and give them subsidies for each of their four wives and twenty-seven offspring…they’ll love us and become just like us. We’ll all live happily ever after in multi-cultural paradise (and we’ll have some cheap labor, too).” Only one problem – A snake will always be a snake! And he is biting and poisoning his gracious host. Large parts of European cities have become vipers’ dens, “no go zones” for non-Muslims where even police and firemen refuse to enter except for emergencies.
• Once upon a time Christians were a majority in many of the countries of the Middle East outside of the Arabian Peninsula. Granted they didn’t take the Muslims up into their bosoms; they were conquered by the sword. Nevertheless, the precarious situation of these indigenous peoples should serve as a warning, showing the world what happens when Islam takes over – and make no mistake about it, the goal of Islam is to bring the entire world under submission to Allah, who is the serpent-in-chief.
You don’t hear much in the mainstream media about the ongoing slaughter of Christians in predominantly Muslim countries or about 100,000 Christians who have had to flee for their lives from Egypt since March, 2011 as a result of the so-called “Arab Spring”. One injustice that has finally gained a modicum of international attention has been the conviction and death sentence of Iranian Pastor Youcef Nadarkhani. His crime? Steadfast refusal to renounce his faith. Additional charges have been added and now Nadarkhani is being charged as “a Zionist, a traitor… committed security crimes.” This is just one case, and because of its notoriety some world leaders are being forced to denounce the mullahs’ theocracy in Teheran. But this is just the tip of the iceberg. Where is the outrage and the outcry over the nameless thousands who are being slaughtered without the “benefit” of a trial? The West, after all, doesn’t want to stir up its own vipers’ nests too much. Someone could get bitten!
• Think America can be the farmer who coddles the snake without being bitten? After all, America is more populous than other countries and has a long tradition of freedom…and we’ve got two oceans to protect us…and, and… excuse after excuse! Sorry, the snakes are among us and they’re beginning to bite, even though at the moment they constitute a small minority of the population. They first strike at those they perceive as “their own” but who hold non-conformist views, who refuse to tow the islamist line. You have probably never heard of Alaa Alsaegh, a poet and US immigrant from Iraq, who lives in Missouri. He is guilty of a great sin against Islam – he loves the Jewish people. His poem, “Tears at the Heart of the Holocaust” appeared in Arabic on the website of Nonie Darwish, ArabsForIsrael.com. The punishment for his transgression? He was viciously attacked in broad daylight on the streets of St. Louis. A group of men cut him off while he was driving and when they succeeded in forcing him to stop, stabbed him once while he was still in his car and then, exposing his back, carved a Jewish star into it while reciting his poem. For the full article please read Sharia Vigilante Street Justice in America. Apparently Mr. Alsaegh is now scared to death and looking for a new home where he can live and write anonymously.
• Finally, you, dear taxpaying friend, along with the rest of the West, which includes the United States, the European Union and Israel, have already been pampering snakes who are preparing to attack. Billions of your hard earned dollars along with those of the Europeans and the Israelis have been given directly or indirectly to the “Palestinians” through foreign aid, medical supplies, building construction, training programs, etc. Israel continues to supply the Palestinians with freshwater every year, 80 percent above what was required of the country in the Oslo Accords. Israel also supplies the Palestinians living in Judea and Samaria with 95% of their electricity and those living in Gaza with 63% of their electricity. Thousands of Palestinians receive medical treatment in Israel on a yearly basis. There are currently 180 pediatric cancer patients from Judea and Samaria in Hadassah Hospital, 50 of whom have received bone-marrow transplants.
What is the reward for all your love and care? Will we see two states living together side-by-side in peace and tranquility? That might be the case were the conflict merely one of territory, a bit of land here, a border adjustment there. But this is not a territorial dispute; it’s a religious one. Islam cannot rest until the infidel (and ultimately this includes you) is either dead or subdued. Period!
Your reward, should the state of Palestine come into existence, will be:
• A Judenrein (free of Jews) state which will be used as a base of operations for attacks on Israel.
• A continuing “refugee” problem. The PA has no intention of resettling the so-called “refugees” into the new state or giving them citizenship. They’re too valuable as weapons against Israel. Palestine’s ambassador to Lebanon, Abdullah Abdullah said, “They are Palestinians, that’s their identity. But … they are not automatically citizens.” This would not only apply to refugees in countries such as Lebanon, Egypt, Syria and Jordan or the other 132 countries where Abdullah says Palestinians reside. Abdullah said that “even Palestinian refugees who are living in [refugee camps] inside the [Palestinian] state, they are still refugees. They will not be considered citizens.”
In other words, according to Middle East expert, David Meir-Levi, “… now, a senior Palestinian official has announced that once they have received a state, most Palestinians will still be stateless – even those who actually live in “Palestine.” Moreover, the new state won’t provide these residents with any services: It expects UNRWA – or, more accurately, the American and European taxpayers, who provide the bulk of that organization’s funding – to continue providing their schooling, healthcare, welfare allowances, etc.”
Yes, you will feed them, house them, educate them, and take care of them when they are sick – and they will still hate you because a snake will always be a snake!
You and your administration have relentlessly demanded that we apologize to the various and assorted lunatic dictators and jihadists in our region. Evidently, in your opinion, we are the cause of every conflagration in the Middle East. So here, dear Madame Secretary of State, are our apologies.
To Turkey – Mr. Erdogan, we’re very sorry that we didn’t blow your ship and its peaceful protesters out of the water when it ignored our warnings to stop. Yes, the world would have been furious – but they were furious anyway. And, yes, we would have deprived you of the boat which you are now using as a museum whose goal is to teach new generations of “holy warriors” how noble it is to ambush us, beat us and then die for the sake of Allah. But we would have spared our own boys pain and humiliation and possibly would have cut short the endless investigations and recriminations that followed. In any case, you probably won’t see Israeli soldiers armed with paint ball guns again in the near future.
Hillary, your administration threatened us that it would be difficult for the US to convince other countries to reject Palestinian statehood unless we apologize – so we’ve done it! And in case you’ve forgotten what the real purpose of the flotilla was, here’s a little video to refresh your memory.
To Egypt – We’re sorry that you suffer from uncontrollable Muslim rage and refused to accept our apologies on the death of some of your border police this past Thursday. Actually what we really regret is our somewhat blasé attitude toward your islamist tilt and your possible collusion in the bloody events that unfolded on Route 12 near Eilat. We should have closed that road; that way you (or the terrorists from Gaza who used your territory for their base) wouldn’t have been driven to attack us. It’s all our fault!
Hillary – we know it’s vacation time for most folks, including President Obama, so in case you didn’t notice what happened on Thursday, August 18th: Israel came under a three-pronged attack from Palestinian terrorists from Gaza who infiltrated through Egypt’s Sinai border near the southern port city of Eilat. As a result 8 Israelis were killed: 6 civilians, 1 soldier and 1 police officer. In addition there were at least 40 wounded.
Sorry, we know that numbers are boring, so we’d like to put some faces on those statistics. Consider two sisters, Flora Gaz and Shulamit Karlinsky and their husbands heading to Eilat for a vacation. Their car was hit by an anti-tank missile and then, not satisfied with that, the terrorists approached and finished them off by firing shots into their bodies. The sisters worked in daycare centers for three- and four-year-old children in Kfar Saba. Both were well-known and respected educators. The Gaz family was expecting their first grandchild in three months.
The response of the world to the shedding of Jewish blood? As usual – silence! Israel asked the 15 member United Nations Security Council presently led by Lebanon (aka Hezbollahstan) to condemn the terrorist assault. Lebanon refused the request and demanded that the Israeli draft be amended, for the sake of moral equivalence, to include criticism of Israel’s retaliatory air strikes on Gaza. Since the resolution required a unanimous vote, it failed! Ron Prosor, Israel’s ambassador to the UN, responded, “It is no coincidence that Lebanon – the only member of the council that obstructed this statement — is itself dominated by a terrorist organization [Hezbollah]… The silence now echoing from the Security Council Chamber is a sad reminder that the United Nations is too often deaf and blind when it comes to acts of terror committed against the people of Israel.” How about you and your president, Hillary? Are you also deaf and blind or are you purposely acting that way?
Finally – to the US – forgive us for bowing to your pressure to withdraw from Gaza and limit ourselves to politically correct warfare. We know we’ve caused you untold anxiety as you watch (or try to ignore) those poor enraged Palestinians shooting missiles and rockets in our direction because they have no other way to express their frustration. Our civilians with their annoying schools, hospitals and apartments just happen to be in their way. Again – our fault!
But, Hillary, as repulsive as it may be for you, just put yourself in our shoes for a few minutes and imagine what it’s like for us. First for those Israelis who were uprooted from their homes and farms in Gaza for the sake of “peace”. Here’s a child’s view….
Then there are the civilians who live within range of Palestinian rockets. As of this morning (Sunday) over 80 rockets have been fired into Israel affecting cities such as Ofakim, Beer Sheva, Ashkelon and Ashdod. 500,000 people are vulnerable and must take shelter when the air raid sirens go off, some with as little as fifteen seconds to respond to the warning.
Here’s another face for you – Yossi Shoshan, 38, heard the air raid sirens go off and was hurrying to protect his 9-month-pregnant wife. He didn’t make it. He leaves behind a young widow and a son who will never know his father.
One final question for you, Hillary – why is the Obama administration going to great lengths to erase Israel off the White House website? Didn’t hear about it? Check out the article White House Mischief by Daniel Pipes, President of the Middle East Forum. Seems that every former mention of “Jerusalem, Israel” is now simply “Jerusalem”.
Is this a portent of ugly pressure to come?
I’d like to begin today with a story about one of my favorite biblical heroes – Elijah the prophet (the same guy for whom we set a place at the Passover seder and for whom we open the door while singing “Eliyahu HaNavi” – “Elijah the Prophet”). He may be considered a hero today but in his own time he wasn’t very popular. The political leaders hated him; the king called him THE trouble-maker of Israel. The queen wanted him dead. Religious leaders despised him because he dared to tell the truth and rebuke them for what they were doing wrong – like worshiping the gods of the surrounding pagan peoples and engaging in their lascivious behavior. In short, he refused to follow or condone the politically correct philosophy of the day.
On top of that, he looked like a wild man – hairy, dressed in what would be considered rags – like something just blown in off the desert. In today’s jargon Elijah was a right-wing nut job. Scripture records his miraculous victory over hundreds of pagan (false) prophets. You can read the entire account here.
But Elijah felt alone, threatened, discouraged and ran away into the desert. There he plopped himself under a bush, complained to God that even though he himself had been very zealous he was the only one left standing for the truth – so why bother living any more? The world was going to hell quickly…why not just forget about it, die and let them go along on their merry way. God didn’t put up with his whining. First of all, he was wrong: he wasn’t alone. God had 7,000 people who were standing with him against the forces of evil. That’s not a lot in a whole nation, but it’s something. Secondly, Elijah wasn’t ready for retirement. God basically told him to get up off his tuchus (rear end) and continue the work he was supposed to do.
Sometimes we who stand with Israel and the Jewish people may feel isolated in an increasingly hostile world. It’s politically correct now to be pro-Palestinian and anti-Zionist (read “anti-Jew”); just ask the UN, EU, the Obama administration, Arab nations, leftist NGO’s, campus and church BDS groups (boycott, divestment, sanctions), Hollywood celebrities, mainstream media, etc., etc. Those who take the opposite view and dare to express it are often labeled right-wing nut jobs, ignorant, trouble-makers, even terrorists…sound familiar? Because of extreme media bias, these brave souls even have difficulty getting their message out without having it twisted. It’s up to you and me not to allow them to be “voices crying in the wilderness”.
Thanks to conservative talk radio, blogs and newsletters like mine (what a shameless plug!) we can unearth the truth – it frequently takes a lot of digging – and pass it around to others. Here are a couple of youtube videos I’ve included in the past: Michele Bachmann and Allen West sharing their views on Israel. If you haven’t already done so, please watch them. These people aren’t just speaking to woo Jewish voters or Jewish donations to their campaigns. They really mean what they say and have backed it up with action regardless of political cost.
Then there’s Glenn Beck. Yes, I know he’s a Mormon. Yes, I know that he may have some odd ideas about various and assorted topics. But the reason he’s been more vilified in the mainstream media than almost anyone else is his uncompromising stand for Israel.
On Tuesday, July 19, Glenn Beck gave the keynote address in Washington, DC at the Christians United For Israel (CUFI) convention. Here’s a video highlights of his speech (7:54) – inspiring and moving, a must-see! For the the full speech (42:32) click here. Despite theological differences I’m thankful for men like him, Pastor John Hagee and others associated with CUFI.
Then there’s you and me, average folks who aren’t making speeches or Youtube videos. How can we get up off our collective tuchus and do something positive? Here are three simple things:
1. Forward my blog – another shameless plug.
2. Do some research on your own and pass your findings on to others. Remember that your friends won’t find this info on the evening news and so they may be totally unaware of the truth unless you inform them. Of course, be sure to check out the veracity of your sources first so that even if people accuse you of being a wild-eyed nut case, you won’t be. In my blog, The Media’s Assault on Israel, I listed reliable resources that I myself use.
3. Be proactive! It is inexcusable to say I don’t have the time or my opinion doesn’t matter! Emails to newspapers, congressmen, senators, companies and local businesses can and do make a difference. When the city of Seattle, WA, agreed to allow public bus ads which read, “Israeli War Crimes: Your tax dollars at work”, accompanied by huge, pathetic-looking pictures of “poor oppressed Palestinians”, I and apparently thousands of others immediately fired off emails to Seattle city commissioners. Because of pressure applied from so many concerned citizens, the ad campaign was cancelled.
So let’s not waste time on hand-wringing and kvetching (complaining). Let’s dust ourselves off like Elijah did and let’s be encouraged – we’re not alone!
Yours for Israel and our Jewish people,